From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 27 2012 - 17:10:57 CST

Hi,
  Yes. Every image on this page was created in VMD and rendered using
the built-in Tachyon ray tracer in VMD:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/minitutorials/tachyonao/

If you want to know more about the Chromatophore image, the best person
to ask is Johan Strumpfer as he created the image. I did provide him with
a few suggestions, but he did all of the hard work.
I'm CCing Johan on this reply.