From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 13 2012 - 11:24:56 CST

Hi,
  I no longer provide VMD binaries with the Python feature
built-in, because there are so many versions of Python floating around
and regardless whatever version I would pick to build VMD with, it
will be incompatible with the versions that the other 70% of the
users are already running on their machines. So, for this reason, I now
recommend that VMD users that want to use the Python features are best
served by compiling VMD from source and linking it against the Python
installation they are already using locally.