From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 30 2011 - 21:18:23 CST

Hi,
  You must set the CUDA-related environment variables in your shell
prior to launching VMD.
The same is true for the VMDCUDANODISPLAYGPUS flag, and similar options.

In the case of Unix systems, you'd do this:
/bin/csh syntax:
  setenv VMDNOCUDA 1

/bin/bash syntax:
  export VMDNOCUDA=1

On Microsoft Windows you'd need to do this in the system environment
variables control in the advanced properties tab for the system settings
window.