From: Gianluca Interlandi (gianluca_at_u.washington.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 17 2011 - 00:09:01 CDT

Hi,

I am wondering which one is faster for VMD in Linux, Intel HD3000 or ATI
Mobility Radeon 6310? I am comparing here the Thinkpads X120e (with AMD
Fusion E350 Processor) and X220 (with Intel i7).

According to notebookcheck, the Intel HD3000 should be faster:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-3000.37948.0.html

However, those benchmarks are run under windows and the Linux drivers are
not quite there yet:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=intel_hd3000_winbuntu&num=1

In particular, mesa 7.11 is not available in all distributions yet
(although ubuntu has it).

Does anybody have any recommendation or experience with one of these
graphics chips in Linux?

Thanks,

      Gianluca

Gianluca Interlandi, PhD gianluca_at_u.washington.edu
                     +1 (206) 685 4435
                     http://artemide.bioeng.washington.edu/

Postdoc at the Department of Bioengineering