From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 10 2011 - 09:40:45 CDT

Hi,
  I tracked this down. The way the "rotate by" command currently works,
this behavior is expected and unavoidable. I can fix it so that this
doesn't occur in the next rev of VMD, but for now, do get around this,
rather than specifying the final increment parameter at the end of your
command, you need to change these to use loops, e.g.:

proc rotateX {} {
  for {set i 0} {$i < 90} {incr i} {
    rotate x by 1
    display update