From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Wed Apr 27 2011 - 15:34:10 CDT

hi sara,

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 3:49 PM, Sara Nichols <sara.nichols_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a way to run a plugin via a script?

for many plugins there is.

> I want to run the first part of the dowser plugin (the part that processes
> the input structure) via the command line with out opening VMD.

well, you will have to launch VMD in text mode, i.e. vmd -dispdev text

scripted VMD plugins almost always make use of some VMD extension
to the tcl interpreter.

now, dowser is one of the (few?) plugins, where there is no direct
command line equivalent of the GUI.

> If not, is the source available to get a better understanding of the
> workflow?

the plugin _is_ the source. it is written in Tcl/Tk. there are two files
dowser.tcl and dowser_gui.tcl.

you may want to search the mailing list archive, because i remember
a similar question that was asked rather recently.

cheers,
    axel.

--
Dr. Axel Kohlmeyer