From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 17 2011 - 09:56:08 CDT

Francesco,
  Thus far nobody has implemented a "pdbqt" reader for VMD.
My group doesn't really do docking (we do molecular dynamics)
and so we don't have much background with Autodock. Again, if
someone knows Autodock and its file formats quite well, I would
be happy to assist them with developing plugins to read and/or write
these files. These PDBQT files appear to be a modified version
of the PDB format, as described here:
  http://autodock.scripps.edu/faqs-help/faq/what-is-the-format-of-a-pdbqt-file

I can tell you with certainty that the existing PDB reader in VMD
will not like any of the special "ROOT", "BRANCH" and related records,
and they would be silently ignored by the existing VMD PDB plugin.

Cheers,
  John