From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu Mar 10 2011 - 12:37:31 CST

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 12:27 PM, leila karami <karami.leila1_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Dr Olaf,
>
> I set pbctools.tcl in this path:
>
> C:/Program Files/University of Illinois/VMD/scripts/vmd
>
> then i typed these commands into the VMD 1.8.7 console:
>
> 1- cd C:/Program Files/University of Illinois/VMD/scripts/vmd
>
> 2- source pbctools.tcl
>
> I got this massage:
> conflicting versions provided for package "pbctools": 2.5, then 1.2
>
> how to remove this massage?

remove the pbctools.tcl file that you downloaded from the VMD script library.
that file is long obsolete and has been superseded by the pbctools plugin
that is bundled with VMD. i.e. you already _have_ the updated version.

it is difficult to speculate in which way your vmd installation is
corrupted that it doesn't provide the plugin properly.

you can try the VMD console (not tkconsole) and type:
package require pbctools

it should print: 2.5
if it doesn't, you should have a look at your startup message in the
VMD console. there may be some warnings/error messages that
provide further hints. it may be that you need to uninstall VMD and
completely remove any remaining traces, and then re-install.
please note, that there is also a new VMD version in preparation
(currently in final beta stages) that has new features and lots
of bugfixes.

cheers,
    axel.

--