From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 04 2003 - 14:34:24 CDT

Hi Shantenu,
  Are you sure you want to compile VMD from source?
Is there any particular reason you can't run the binaries we provide
on the web site?

If so, then you'll need to first:
  - compile all of the plugins from source code, and then make a symlink
    to the installed plugin directory. (the directory that unpacks with
    the VMD source distrib is the source code, you still need to compile
    these, or at least run 'make distrib' once you've setup the target
    directories..)

  - compile and install Tcl/Tk 8.4.x (you're using 8.3.x which is the source
    of the compile error you're getting below)

  - compile and install all of the other libraries VMD needs, FLTK, etc..

Anyway, unless you need to compile from source for some specific
reason, I'd recommend using one fo the binaries we provide...

I'm working on updating our source code compilation instructions
on the web now that I'm back from Siggraph:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/doxygen/index.html

Thanks,