From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 18 2011 - 11:51:14 CST

Ajasja,
  Glad you're having fun with the Anaglyph stereo mode. :)
Something I have been working on in my free time is developing a
standalone stereoscopic image display tool. I've been using it to
display both image pairs rendered from VMD, and also stereo shots
from my digital SLR and a special camera bracket I made.

In the context of VMD, what is cool about it is that it lets me
make stereoscopic images using Tachyon, POV-Ray, or various other
high quality rendering methods available within VMD, and view them
outside of VMD.

One of the things I've been thinking about for a subsequent rev of
VMD is to add this code into VMD itself so that one could show arbitrary
images in the background of the VMD OpenGL window, and I could also
make it possible to show the Tachyon or POV-Ray images "in place",
in VMD itself without having to launch a separate image viewer after
each rendering, and since the code supports stereo, one could view
stereoscopic renderings in Tachyon or POV-Ray far more convenientily
than is currently the case. I haven't decided exactly how this
would work, but its another one of the items on my TODO list for the summer.

Cheers,
  John