From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2011 - 18:19:52 CST

Hi,
  For now, the easiest solution is to try one of the test versions
of VMD 1.9 where we have disabled (for the time being) one of the
contributed plugins that was compiled against Cygwin, which is
the cause of your problem. Directions for getting the test
versions of VMD 1.9 are posted here:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/alpha/