From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Sat Dec 18 2010 - 04:42:42 CST

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 7:52 PM, zaizhi lai <zaizhilai_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I run vmd, I get the following error message:
>
> Warning: Cannot convert string "nil2" to type FontStruct
> xterm: cannot load font
> -misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed--13-120-75-75-c-60-iso10646-1

this is related to your language settings.

please check whether the first line of your vmd startup
script is '#!/bin/csh' or '#!/bin/sh'
in the first case add the line

setenv LC_ALL C

in the second case the lines

LC_ALL=C
export LC_ALL

right after it and try again.

> And I can load the AMBER parm file, but I cannot load the .mdcrd file.

not sure if this is related. please be more specific about "cannot load".
you should get an error message in VMD terminal windows, what
does it say? or what else is happening or not?

cheers,
    axel.

--
Dr. Axel Kohlmeyer