From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 17 2003 - 20:14:25 CDT

Dear Bartek,
  At present there's not a way to edit the atom labels that
VMD displays when you select atoms. You can however add your own
arbitrary labels using the "graphics" and/or "draw" commands to
draw text in the molecule (same as what is done for labels but
you can do it in any size font, in any color, with any text etc..)

Here's a simple Tcl script that draws a timer in VMD based on the
current frame of a trajectory, you can of course substitute atom
coordinates in for the hard-coded {10 10 10} that's coded into that script,
but its a reasonable example and since I had it sitting around I thought
it'd be useful to you. (script follows, save it to a file and source it,
then do "enabletrace"...)

Thanks,

proc enabletrace {} {
  global vmd_frame;
  trace variable vmd_frame([molinfo top]) w drawcounter
}

proc disabletrace {} {
  global vmd_frame;
  trace vdelete vmd_frame([molinfo top]) w drawcounter
}

proc drawcounter { name element op } {
  global vmd_frame;

  draw delete all
  # puts "callback!"
  draw color white
  set psperframe 1.03
  set time [format "%8.3f ps" [expr $vmd_frame([molinfo top]) * $psperframe]]
  draw text {10 10 0} "$time"
}