From: Andrew (afenley_at_vt.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 08 2010 - 14:29:07 CST

Hi Alen,

In regards to question 1, I think the Quadro FX 5800 is actually based on last generation's technology and the consumer version of it would be the Geforce GTX 280. The Quadro FX 6000 is the current generation professional card. I would expect the Geforce GTX 480 to outperform the Quadro FX 5800. As for whether it can fluidly rotate a 1 million sphere environment, I'm not sure, but I'm thinking it would still have a low frame rate.

In regards to question 2, the tesla cards are compute only cards. Even if they did visualization, the chip in the latest Tesla cards is essentially the same (graphics performance wise) as the one in the Quadro FX 6000 / Geforce GTX 480.

Cheers,
Andrew