From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Sep 13 2010 - 15:13:13 CDT

On Mon, 2010-09-13 at 15:17 -0400, CLEMENTS, ROBERT wrote:

rob,

> I managed to compile a version of VMD for Ubuntu linux after making
> some minor changes to the code. Now i would like to compile VMD for

what changes?

> use on windows. Is there anyway simple to compile windows binaries
> uising linux or do i have to set up a windows development environment.

i don't know anybody that has tried it. right now windows
versions are compiled on windows with visual c++.

to build windows binaries on linux, you would need either
a cross-compiler or try and see, if you can run vc++ under wine.

i have been able to compile non-graphical applications with
the mingw cross-compilation environment provided by fedora 12
and 13. for VMD, you would have to cross compile a lot of
supporting packages and libraries _and_ would have to port the
current windows specific code to work with the cross-compiler.

i am too little of a windows expert to make any prognosis on
how large the chances of success for this approach would be.

cheers,
   axel.

--
Dr. Axel Kohlmeyer  akohlmey_at_gmail.com
http://sites.google.com/site/akohlmey/