From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue Aug 24 2010 - 09:48:26 CDT

hi dan,

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 10:38 AM, Dan Lussier <dtlussier_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Axel,
>
> Ok - that is good to know.  One off the reasons I asked at all was because
> when I load my LAMMPS dump I am observing a strange (or at least it appears
> strange to me) behaviour.
>
> In my case the x coordinate is limited from [0,160] but when the data is
> loaded into VMD and I look at the range of x I find something like
> [0,25000].  The same thing is seen in both y and x so the overall effect
> appears to be applied evenly to all the coordinates such that the geometry
> is simply scaled rather than mangled.

ok. that means, you have coordinates that somehow manage
to fool the heuristics to tell scaled from unscaled coordinates
for old style dump files. unusual, but not impossible. this is one
of the reasons that prompted the change in the file format.

> I am using unscaled coordinates if this is of consequence to the way the
> reader works.

yes.

> It usually isn't a big deal - but it makes interacting with the data via
> selections and scripting more tricky, so if there was a way to avoid this
> I'd love to hear.

the best way would be to "convert" them to the new dump style.
the fastest is probably to use the sed command. e.g. with:

for s in *.lammpstrj ; do sed -e 's,^ITEM: ATOMS,ITEM: ATOMS id type x
y z,' $s > tmp && tmp $s; done

or something equivalent for the second ITEM string that matches your dump file.

cheers,
    axel.