From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 18 2010 - 13:11:03 CDT

Christian,
  The haptic feedback interface in VMD is currently focused mainly
on allowing interactive molecular dynamics simulations, rather than
feeling static structures. You could setup an MD simulation with a
bunch of fixed atoms for the molecule, and then use a free floating
"probe" atom and drag it around on the surface of the molecule of
interest. That would probably be the best way to accomplish what you
have in mind. To do this, you would just create a NAMD simulation config
file, enable IMD, and add the extra "probe" atom to the structure you want
to play with. Before you do that, I'd suggest that you try doing the IMD
tutorial linked from the top of the page here:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/imd/