From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Aug 16 2010 - 08:40:36 CDT

hello daniel,

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 6:07 AM, Daniel Hornburg <Hleinad_at_gmx.de> wrote:
> Hello everybody!
>

> I am using vmd for visualization of trajectories. Since the ray tracing
> movies are quite nice and I have the opportunity to use a polarized 3D
> system I would like to produce high resolution movies suited for 3D
> visualization (real time is not an opportunity due to slow rendering of my
> system).
>
> However when I choose stereo views like side by side and start rendering I
> only get pictures of a single view.

yes. that is how it works. the stereo display settings
only affect the OpenGL output drivers.

> Does anyone of you have created movies for 3D projectors and may help me?

i have been thinking about it and may give it a shot for a
demo at the GTC'10 conference (if there is time). the question
is not so much about rendering (you can easily render the
left and right eye images separately), but about compression
and playback. what kind of encoding would you want to use
and what player software would you want to use?
there are no widely accepted standards so you'd have to
use some kind of proprietary solution or implement one yourself.

cheers,
   axel.

--
Dr. Axel Kohlmeyer    akohlmey_at_gmail.com
http://sites.google.com/site/akohlmey/