From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 29 2010 - 10:21:11 CDT

Kirby,
  Can you also check how it behaves for VMD 1.8.7? I'm assuming
that's the version that Ian was running.

Ian, if the problem doesn't occur with the VMD 1.8.8 alpha versions
based on Kirby's comment, then you may want to try one of the
alpha builds and let us know if you still encounter any trouble:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/alpha/