From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 27 2010 - 23:58:01 CDT

Richard,
  This is undoubtably caused by a flaw in the xwin32 implementation.
Most of the X emulators out there fall a bit short when it comes to
heavy duty OpenGL apps. It is difficult to postulate which X11 calls
might be generating the errors, but if they are correlated with some
particular activity within VMD, I might be able to help you track this
down. If you load a molecule and just let it sit, do you still get
errors? If you then rotate it, do the errors crop up with every
OpenGL redraw? Are they associated with GUI activities or just
drawing activity in the VMD OpenGL window?