From: Prskalo, Alen-Pilip (Alen-Pilip.Prskalo_at_mpa.uni-stuttgart.de)
Date: Wed Jul 21 2010 - 02:40:27 CDT

Hello everyone,

I'm new in the VMD community, used Rasmol before. I am simulating systems of ~1.000.000 atoms in each frame and I intend to make nice videos later on. So it is obvious that I will have an enormous .pdb file containing large number of atoms AND frames to make the video look fluent. My question is: what is the best PC to do it? I do have a bit money on the side to upgrade my 4 Core, 4GB RAM PC, but how? First idea is of course to by extra RAM, to go to 8 GB or even 16 GB. What about the graphic card, presently I have only onboard graphics, would a good graphic card make the loading and rotation easier and if, how exactly (from the technical stand point).

P.S. I use VMD 1.8.7. on Suse Linux OS and have intermediate computer knowledge.

Thank you very much in advance

Regards

Alen