From: Andrew (afenley_at_vt.edu)
Date: Sun Jun 27 2010 - 19:27:21 CDT

Hi,

I have some questions about VMD and the Tachyon renderer. The first is, besides the 4 directional light sources from infinity that VMD offers, are there other light options, e.g. adding point light sources? I tried adding

LIGHT CENTER x y z
RAD 0.2
COLOR 0.5 0.5 0.5

to the *.dat file created by the File Render Controls, but the resulting "lights" at the set (x y z) positions seemed to just be bright discs of specified radius without lighting the immediate objects around the lights. Is there a way to make "glowing" materials?

For the color scales, are user created ones possible? Also, any choosable scales using the CMYK color space? Finally, is there a way to apply one color scale to one object (molecule) and a different color scale to another object (molecule)?

Thank you for your time!

Cheers,
Andrew