From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon May 10 2010 - 08:21:13 CDT

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 8:28 AM, David Poger <d.poger_at_uq.edu.au> wrote:
> Dear VMD Users,

dear david,

> I'd like to create an AVI movie starting from frames in the PNG format. So
> far, using QuickTime Pro, I've only managed to get a movie with a very poor
> quality. I generally create movies in the MOV format and the final quality
> of the movies is always very high, close to quality of the initial frames
> (rendered with POV-Ray). What setting should I use for AVIs? or is it normal
> that my AVI movies look so bad (somewhat inherent to the AVI comprerssion)?

both quicktime and avi are "container formats", i.e. the (compressed) data
they contain can be in a large variety of data formats. secondly, for almost
every format with lossy compression, you have a tradeoff between level of
compression, quality of the resulting compressed data and size of the file.
this and the selection of algorithm is done by compression program.

for that reason personally use the integrated moviemaker script in VMD only
for "quick-n-dirty" animations. if i want high quality, i do the steps manually
and then experiment with the compression settings and software.

cheers,
    axel.

> Thanks for your help.
>
> David

> Dr. David POGER
> Postdoctoral Research Fellow
> Molecular Dynamics Group
> School of Chemistry and Molecular Biosciences (SCMB)
> Molecular Biosciences Building (#76)
> The University of Queensland
> Brisbane, QLD 4067
> Australia
>
> E: d.poger_at_uq.edu.au | T: +61 7 3365 7562 | F: +61 7 3365 3872

>  Notice: Unless stated otherwise, this e-mail represents only
>  the views of the Sender and not the views of The University
>  of Queensland.

Dr. Axel Kohlmeyer    akohlmey_at_gmail.com
http://sites.google.com/site/akohlmey/