From: radak004_at_umn.edu
Date: Mon Apr 26 2010 - 16:38:36 CDT

I'm pretty sure there are several supported trajectory formats that do not
require a .prmtop type file. My personal favorite (i.e. the only one that I
really know) is .xyz, which is simple enough, but not particularly space
efficient (as opposed to any of the binary formats).

You can probably find more info elsewhere, but the general format is:

<number of atoms in the system>
<blank line or comment line (sometimes the time step)>

etc. etc. (this would repeat for each time step, so the number of atoms is
redundantly listed). I can see it being quite easy to write a script to
convert an arbitrary, but known, file type into this format.

Maybe that helps?
Brian

--
Brian Radak