From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Apr 16 2010 - 12:03:24 CDT

On Fri, 2010-04-16 at 12:09 -0400, Joshua Anderson wrote:
> I myself ran into this issue a few weeks ago. I dug around in the VMD
> source code and found that while it retains the full type name for
> features such as atom selections, the name is always truncated to the
> first alpha character and then uppercased for coloring by type and
> name. This "feature" is buried deep in the C++ code of VMD and there
> didn't appear to be an option

have you tried using coloring by "Element"?

if this would be sufficient, you can change the default
by putting: mol default color Element
in your .vmdrc or vmd.rc file.

truncating the "name" and "type" fields is a legacy
feature meant to deal with classical bio force fields
where almost always the first character is sufficient
to identify the elements. you typically have only H,
C, N, O, S, P and you don't care about the rest.
VMD has since evolved into something much more versatile
and this is some issue that is worth thinking about.
unfortunately, it is going to be very difficult to
find a solution that would be sufficiently backward
compatible for the large number of people that expect
the current default behavior and seem to be happy with it.

cheers,
   axel.

--
Dr. Axel Kohlmeyer  akohlmey_at_gmail.com
http://sites.google.com/site/akohlmey/