From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 20 2010 - 10:05:14 CST

Hi,
  Not as far as I am aware. I had a detailed discussion with the NVIDIA
engineers previously, where I asked them about support for
quad-buffered OpenGL in regards to their latest stereo drivers, and
they indicated very clearly to me that they were only planning to
support quad-buffered OpenGL on the Quadro cards and not on the
GeForce cards. So far as I know, there is no way around this limitation.
That said, my understanding is that even the low-end Quadro FX GPUs
support all of the LCD stereo options now.

There is a chart comparing all of the various Quadro GPUs here:
  http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_11761.html

If you end up buying a Quadro and you have two PCIe x16 slots and
power supply with enough connectors, you could keep your existing
GeForce 9800 card and have VMD use it as an additional CUDA accelerator
for things like calculating electrostatics, molecular orbitals,
molecular surfaces (in upcoming revs of VMD), and other computationally
demanding tasks.

Cheers,
  John