From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Jan 08 2010 - 08:03:21 CST

On Fri, 2010-01-08 at 13:38 +0000, Nuno Sousa Cerqueira wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have the same problem in a mac book pro,

first of all, i personally consider the current
behavior more consistent and preferable to the
previous one. i always found it irritating that
vmd had it hardcoded which terminal code was
being used. also launching vmd from the command
line, doing some (scripted) operations and then
exiting it again, can now be done in one go (and
i do that a lot). now you have a choice. i see
the main advantage of the previous behavior when
launching VMD from a GUI, but there you can easily
configure it to "run in a terminal" or use
"xterm -e vmd" as command line and you are fine.

the original script code is still in the vmd launch
script, just commented out. so all you'd need to
do is to remove those comments characters and comment
that script code in again.

the reason this was commented out is that most linux
distributions now don't even install the "xterm"
executable anymore (which is the oldest and ugliest
piece of source code in the whole X11 distribution
since day 1) and use instead other, more convenient
terminal software. thus the only way to have VMD
launch on many machines properly was to drop this.
similarly, there are now two alternate launch scripts
(one in c-shell and one in bourne shell syntax) since
newer linux distributions also don't ship with a /bin/csh
script interpreter by default anymore.

> I tried the same command : xterm -e vmd& and I get the following error:
>
> Warning: locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C

this is not an error. so what is the problem?

cheers,
    axel.

--
Dr. Axel Kohlmeyer  akohlmey_at_gmail.com
College of Science and Technology