From: Robert Brunner (rbrunner_at_illinois.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 06 2010 - 11:18:11 CST

I think VMD is assuming that you are using the default Terminal
application for opening files with the extension ".command". If you've
overridden this and set NetBeans to open .command files, and if
NetBeans does not behave like Terminal does (ie. it should run the
contents of the .command file as a shell script), then it probably
won't launch VMD correctly.

If that is the problem, you can fix it by creating somefile.command
(it can be empty), then do a File:Get info on it, and set the default
application for opening the file to Terminal, and tell it to apply
that preference to all files with the extension.

Robert