From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Sun Jan 03 2010 - 05:23:58 CST

> neelanjana_at_linux-3qfw:~/vmd-1.8.6/src> make install
> mkdir: cannot create directory `/usr/local/lib/vmd': Permission denied
> mkdir: cannot create directory `/usr/local/lib/vmd': Permission denied
> make: *** [install] Error 1
>
> So, I dont know exactly what is the error occuring and thus, I need your help. I am pretty much thankful to you for your co-operative reply and shall be highly obliged if you grant me the favor again amidst your tight schedules.

if you don't understand this kind of permission error, you first have to
learn a bit about linux. you cannot write to directories that you don't
have permission to write to. just follow the installation instructions
that come with VMD and then also follow the instructions given on
the VMD homepage about how to report problems.

finally, you should install/use VMD version 1.8.7. version 1.8.6 is
obsolete.

cheers,
    axel.

--
Dr. Axel Kohlmeyer    akohlmey_at_gmail.com
College of Science and Technology