From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Wed Dec 23 2009 - 14:30:56 CST

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 3:13 PM, Jin Wen <Jin.Wen_at_colorado.edu> wrote:
> Hi Axel,
>
> My problem is in the OpenGl display windows. They could not show the molecule normally. I also think it might be the problem with the intel chipset graphics. I will download the LINUX_64 OpenGL, CUDA version as Ale Gomez told me to see whether that can solve it.

i don't think that the CUDA version will make any difference.
you don't have a CUDA enabled GPU.

ok. yes. intel graphics is a big problem.
especially newer distributions like ubuntu 9.10
and fedora 12 ship with a driver that is troublesome
but slowly getting better. the driver version with a one
year old distribution has many other problems, but
doesn't crash on me with the following precautions.

you have to set the environment variable VMDSIMPLEGRAPHICS
to 1 to have VMD disable trying to use OpenGL features that that
don't work. on my laptop also setting the environment variable
vblank_mode to 0 helps, too.

in all cases you should also make certain that you have an
up-to-date driver and seriously consider upgrading to an
nvidia chipset GPU, if possible (even a cheap old/used one
will be _much_ better than what you have now).

cheers,
    axel.

--
Dr. Axel Kohlmeyer    akohlmey_at_gmail.com
College of Science and Technology