From: Bogdan Costescu (bogdan.costescu_at_IWR.Uni-Heidelberg.De)
Date: Mon May 05 2003 - 11:58:14 CDT

> > I do also see something that corresponds quite well to your description
> > of an occasional "glitch".

Sorry for coming so late into the discussion...

I had here a "Stereo Enabler" device from StereoGraphics for testing and a
PC with Quadro 4 980XL with Linux, so I was able to test two stereo
visuals: Blueline glasses ("Option Stereo 2") and onboard stereo support
("Option Stereo 3"). I used the same IR emitter and same IR eyewear in
both cases; I have also tried to use different eyewear.
The Blueline mode created some glitches like part of a menu that
overlapped with the OpenGL window was still visible after the menu was
supposed to be dissapeared, but only for one eye, or some small
desyncronization, which did not seem to be periodical, but maybe I was
too much concentrated on other aspects and missed its periodicity. When
running with onboard stereo support (emitter directly connected to the
3-pin VESA connector on the card), none of these happened.

This was a brief test to see what is possible and what is not, especially
interested in the ability of the "Stereo Enabler" device to create sync
signal when the 3-pin VESA connector is not available (= cheap cards) and
I do not have the hardware anymore. I suspect the driver involvment in the
"menu" problem (driver was the 4191 version IIRC), but the rest could have
been caused by the hardware, so maybe it's worth specifying what is the
hardware setup in each case.
(I don't want to imply that the "Stereo Enabler" device doesn't do what is
advertised - using Windows 2000 on another computer it worked just fine;
it's just that in these particular conditions there were some differences
with respect to the onboard stereo case).

--
Bogdan Costescu
Telephone: +49 6221 54 8869, Telefax: +49 6221 54 8868