From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 31 2009 - 10:41:30 CDT

Hi,
  The behavior of the points representation depends on what GPU you're
using. The poorest capability GPUs will indeed render points as squarish
blocks as you increase the size. Higher quality GPUs will render them
as round solid filled circles as they get larger. My suggestion is to
get a better GPU. From your note, I'm assuming that you may have
an Intel IGP type chipset or something similar, or that you haven't
installed a proper OpenGL driver for whatever GPU you do have.