From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 15 2009 - 16:03:25 CDT

Hi,
  Your -restrict selection is indeed changing with time, because
you are calling "$sel frame $i" immediately prior to computing the SASA.
You can visually determine if you're getting surface area you think you're
measuring through the use of the -points option, and plotting the
resulting list of points. Please see the VMD User's Guide for more
information on "measure sasa":
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/vmd-1.8.6/ug/node124.html