From: Jianhui Tian (jianhuitian_at_gmail.com)
Date: Wed Jun 24 2009 - 15:51:54 CDT

Hi,
I am currently using the vmd 1.8.6 version. I have a system of more than
9999 residues(or 99999 atoms). If I want to save the configuration in PDB
format after loading into vmd, the residue index is first base on the
decimal index from 1, 2, 3, ..., 9999. When there are more residues than
9999, the residue index larger than 9999 will be converted to hexadecimal
number. This introduces a problem: there will be two different residues with
the same residue index (for example 1234), one is decimal based while the
other is hexadecimal based. How can I use the residue index to identify
residue uniquely? Thanks.

Jianhui