From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 10 2009 - 11:47:28 CDT

Marius,
  Axel and I have been looking into this using a Fedora 11 machine
he just installed yesterday, and there's definitely something fishy
going on where the VMD process gets a signal, a signal handler runs
(apparrently in the OpenGL driver), and the OpenGL driver library
function calls malloc, and the whole process gets stuck in a glibc
malloc mutex call. My theory at present is that either
glibc has a malloc double locking bug, or the NVIDIA driver
should not be calling malloc in a signal handler. We won't know
more until we do some VMD compiles on Fedora 11 itself and see if
the same problem occurs when compiled against that libc/libstdc++ etc.

So far I see nothing to indicate that this is a problem in VMD itself.
We'll let you know what we find out after we do more testing.