From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 08 2009 - 16:09:42 CDT

Craig,
  The answer depends on what shell you're using on your mac,
but I believe the default is bash, so you would likely edit
your .bashrc (in your home directory) to contain lines
similar to these:

(rename "msms_MacOSX*" to "msms", then...)

VMDMSMSUSEFILE=1
export VMDMSMSUSEFILE
PATH="${PATH}:/path/to/your/msms/directory"
export PATH

or you could alternately do:
VMDMSMSUSEFILE=1
export VMDMSMSUSEFILE
MSMSSERVER=/path/to/your/msms_MacOSX_2.6.1
export MSMSSERVER

I just wrote that from the top of my head, but this should help
you get things going.