From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_cmm.chem.upenn.edu)
Date: Mon May 18 2009 - 20:29:44 CDT

On Mon, 2009-05-18 at 15:24 -0500, John Stone wrote:
> Dear VMD-L,
> I've just posted VMD 1.8.7 beta 3 for download.
> I've posted binaries for all of the mainstream platforms
> and more will become available in the next beta release.
> The new beta is posted here:
> http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Development/Download/download.cgi?PackageName=VMD
>
> Many bugs have been fixed in this version, so I urge people
> that have downloaded earlier test releases to switch over
> to beta 3 at this time.

hi everybody,

in addition to this there are now a couple of experimental RPM packages
in the VMD BioFS (directory src/akohlmey/rpm-test), one for Fedora 6 /
x86_64 and a second for Fedora 10 / i386, as well as the matching
source RPM. Unlike john's packages, those are compiled and linked
against the corresponding python/tcl/etc. libraries that ship with the
distributions. The latter is particularly interesting for VMD users
that prefer the python interface. I've also included a version of VMD
that can be included as a module into a regular python interpreter
via "import vmd" based on a patch by justin gullingsrud.

i would be _very_ interested in getting some feedback from people
that have a matching distribution and try them out and compare them
against the self contained binaries that john just posted.

secondly, if there are people around with a little bit experience
in building rpm packages on their own machines, i'd like to invite
them to try build and test a matching rpm for their distribution
and help filling out the blanks for distributions/platforms where
i currently have no access to or no opportunity to install the
full toolchain.

if you notice any problems, please make certain, that you do the
same test against john's binaries on the same platform, so that
you can report problems in both versions to the list here or
vmd_at_ks.uiuc.edu, whereas problems that only happen in the rpm
packages should be reported to me, as they are most likely due
to the changes i made for rpm packaging.

thanks in advance,
     axel.