From: Peter Freddolino (petefred_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 27 2009 - 07:02:18 CDT

Hi Dimitry,
you might want to have a look at how autoionize does it, since the code
is available...

set sel [atomselect top all]
set charge [vecsum [$sel get charge]]

What makes your method so slow is that you're making a new atom
selection for each atom; forming atom selections is an expensive operation.

Also, I'll take the opportunity to note that in your loop, you appear to
be calling delete on the charge (a list) but not the atomselect object;
what you really need to do is delete the atom selection on each loop
iteration, in order to avoid a memory leak.

Peter