From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_cmm.chem.upenn.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 17 2009 - 08:58:38 CDT

On Tue, 2009-03-17 at 12:51 +0100, Raluca Mihaela ANDREI wrote:

raluca,

> I have downloaded from your site the VMD source code v1.8.6,

if you are building from sources (i assume you want to add some
features to VMD), then you should seriously consider building
from the current CVS. the 1.8.6 sources are quite outdated and
the development tree is getting close to beta status, with a
release coming up in the not so distant future. you may have
seen john's post encouraging people to try out recent alpha
builds of the code. one particular improvement is the support
for tcl/tk 8.5.x, which does not work with 1.8.6.

> and, starting from it, I have built Plugins and VMD on LINUX
> platform. I have arrived to the end of the process without
> errors.

> After that, when I run vmd, three different windows should pop
> up: VMD, VMD Main, and VMD console. But the VMD Main (menu)
> windows doesn't appear.

that usually means that you tried to customize vmd via a .vmdrc
file, but that does not contain "menu main on".

> Do you know where could be the problem?

does the same happen with a precompiled executable?

if not, please follow the instructions on bug reports and
send us the messages printed at startup.

ciao,
  axel.