From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 16 2009 - 13:14:31 CST

Yinglong,
  To build a VMD from source disabling the graphics interface, you
merely have to disable a few of the options passed to 'configure'.
Here's the 'linux.text' target from the top level VMD makefile,
one can start with that, alter the platform as appropriate and
use the same strategy for basically any case where you want to build
a text-only VMD.

##
## Special Linux build for clustermatic/scyld, or plain text mode usage
##
linux.text:
        ./configure LINUX IMD SILENT TCL PTHREADS ACTC LIBTACHYON NETCDF

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/%7Ejohns/>