From: Christopher D. Wassman (cwassman_at_ics.uci.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 25 2003 - 01:49:09 CST

I believe I mailed this to the wrong email last time. Here is the same
mail this time to vmd-l@ instead of vmd@

Problem solved.

I am posting these details for the benefit of the group.

I have an ATI Rage 128 AGP graphics card on an 1100Mhz Athlon with 384M
RAM.

I am running RedHat Linux 7.3 [2.4.18-3] with XFree86-4.2.0-8.

Heres my device section of XF86Config-4
Section "Device"
        Identifier "ATI|Rage 128 RL/VR AGP"
        Driver "r128"
        BoardName "Unknown"
EndSection

Following your suggestions that it was driver dependent I started poking
around my XF86Config-4 file and commented out this line in the Module
section:
       Load "dri" # Direct rendering infrastructure

Because I noticed this line at VMD startup:
OpenGL renderer: Mesa DRI Rage 128 20010405 AGP 1x x86/MMX/3DNow!

Now VMD starts w/o error, and this line has changed to:
OpenGL renderer: Mesa GLX Indirect

Which I understand might have some preformance problems, but not crashing
is much preferable to tracking down some hardware driver issue.

Thanks for your help and I hope this information helps others if they are
having similar problems.

Cheers,
Chris