From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_cmm.chem.upenn.edu)
Date: Sun Jan 25 2009 - 21:08:18 CST

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009, JT wrote:

JT> Hi. Is this capability in VMD 1.8.6?

no.

features get added to VMD based on demand, feasability,
usefulness, and available workforce.

but you don't really need this to be implemented into VMD.
Window names are manipulated by window managers and there
is a regular X protocal to deal with it.

thus you'll get the desired effect if you type something like:

xprop -name "VMD 1.8.6 OpenGL Display" -set WM_NAME "My VMD Window"

i leave the implementation into the vmd startup script to you...

cheers,
    axel.

p.s.: took me less than 5 mins digging through man pages to
find this. ;-) )