From: L. Michel Espinoza-Fonseca (mef_at_ddt.biochem.umn.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 16 2008 - 04:41:47 CST

Hi Bernhard,

You should take a look at the STRIDE documentation, as VMD uses STRIDE
to predict the secondary structure:

http://webclu.bio.wzw.tum.de/stride/

and the corresponding paper describing the method:

Frishman D, Argos P. Knowledge-Based Protein Secondary Structure
Assignment Proteins: Structure, Function, and Genetics 23:566-579
(1995)

Cheers,
Michel