From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_cmm.chem.upenn.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 29 2008 - 11:07:55 CDT

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008, Leonardo Trabuco wrote:

LT> On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 10:14 AM, Axel Kohlmeyer
LT> <akohlmey_at_cmm.chem.upenn.edu> wrote:
LT> > On Wed, 29 Oct 2008, no tengo nombre wrote:
LT> >
LT> > ???> hi
LT> > ???> thanks for your code Benjamin, i modify it and now run good:
LT> > ???>
LT> > ???> foreach f [ lsort [ glob deposit0*.xyz ] ] {
LT> > ???> mol new $f type xyz
LT> > ???> }
LT> > ???>
LT> >
LT> > ???> i think that deposit.*.xyz don't run becouse i work in windows, but
LT> >
LT> > no. you cannot blame windows for that.
LT> >
LT> > it doesn't work because it is not _supposed_ to work.
LT> >
LT> > the manual entry on the mol command says clearly that
LT> > it expects a filename and not a pattern.
LT>
LT> Well, glob should return a filename, so as long as it works properly,
LT> the mol command will receive a filename.

ahhhh.... my bad. i misinterpreted the problem.

so the issue is that globbing patterns are not regular expressions.
in globbing '?' stands for any single character and '*' for any
chain of characters, including none. whereas in regular expressions
'.' stands for any single character and '*' only states that the
preceeding character can be repeated 0 or more times. so '.*' in
regular expressions is '*' in globbing. but again, this has nothing
to do with using windows. there is a lot one can blame windows for,
but not this. ;-)

cheers,
   axel.