From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 08 2008 - 11:25:47 CDT

Hi,
  After you've modified the atom coordinates with "$sel move $M1",
VMD does not reposition the center of rotation for the interactive display.
If you want to reset the center of rotation for the interactive display,
you would either use the command "display resetview" or press the "="
key both of which have the same effect of causing VMD to auto center
the displayed structure based on computing a new bounding box for the
atoms in the molecule.