From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_cmm.chem.upenn.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 25 2008 - 14:52:38 CDT

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008, hzf101_at_psu.edu wrote:

HF> Hi,

dear <insert full name here>,

HF> I have just downloaded and installed VMD 1.8.6 for Linux (Redhat 9 or later)
HF> on my machine.
HF>
HF> To test the installation, I tried to open a PDB file. This trial was
HF> unsuccessful since as soon as I hit the "load" button, the VMD windows shut
HF> down. Interestingly I have no issue to visualize the trajectory files in the
HF> VMD-tutorial. I tested the same version of VMD for windows and everything
HF> looks perfectly fine.

this is a known problem. you have an outdated kernel that is not
behaving correctly when using threads. see the first item on the
linux release notes and update your OS.

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/vmd-1.8.6/linuxrelnotes.html

HF> Searching the mailing list indicates that I am not the only one having this
HF> problem but unfortunately I couldn't find the proper solution to fix this.

this fix has been explained on the mailing list several times.
check it out.

cheers,
   axel.