From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 04 2008 - 11:24:47 CDT

Hi,
  Given that you're running Linux, NVIDIA cards are the best choice,
based on past experiences of the VMD user community.

The FX 1700 you asked about is a lower end (performance-wise)
card, so I'd suggest going for something better.

If you need to be able to do stereoscopic display
(e.g. with a CRT or another stereo-capable device),
then a Quadro FX 3700 cards is a good choice.

If you don't have any plans for stereoscopic display, then I would
instead suggest you buy a GeForce GTX 280 or GeForce GTX 260,
which are the latest generation of NVIDIA cards.
They support CUDA, and are the first generation of NVIDIA GPUs with
double precision arithmetic.

If you would like to be able to use the GPU for both computation
and for graphics, I'd suggest making sure that you get a GPU
with at least 1GB of memory.