From: Christopher Gillespie (gillescche_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Jul 28 2008 - 07:33:37 CDT

Hello Sue,
I don't want to supply my possibly naive interpretation of padding so I will
leave that to the more informed, but I can comment on your other questions.

Here is an example script I have used to solvate my protein with a specific
box size

============================
resetpsf

readpsf Protein.psf

coordpdb Protein.pdb

mol load psf Protein.psf pdb Protein.pdb

package require solvate
solvate Protein.psf Protein.pdb -b 4.0 -t 20 -minmax {{-10 -10 -10} {10 10
10}} -o solvate

To measure your actual box dimensions, use measure minmax in VMD.

I believe both of these are touched on in the tutorial for ubiqutin(sp?).

Best

Chris