From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_cmm.chem.upenn.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 21 2008 - 14:13:59 CDT

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008, Samir Unni wrote:

SU> Hi,
SU>
SU> That could prove problematic. Using the 'snapshot' renderer requires only
SU> about 10 seconds on this machine (octo-core 2.8 GHz Intel Xeon Mac Pro) with
SU> the command I mentioned earlier (using the modified vmdmovie.tcl). But the
SU> the 'tachyon' renderer requires upwards of 7 minutes. Is there no other
SU> renderer option that could be used without X/OpenGL?

there are several options and there are also ways to speed
up rendering at the expense of some detail or features.

in case you have a cluster of machines, you could consider
just rendering parts of the movie (while keeping the frames)
on different nodes and/or run the renderer in parallel (several,
including tachyon support this with good parallel efficiency)
and then build the movie afterwards.

i'm pretty certain that john has some good suggestions as well
(this is his special area of expertise. ;-) ).

cheers,
   axel.

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/%7Ejohns/>

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/%7Ejohns/><