From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_cmm.chem.upenn.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 22 2008 - 05:39:59 CDT

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008, Vlad Cojocaru wrote:

VC> Dear John,
VC>
VC> If I understood you correctly, if I compile tachyon without JPEG and PNG
VC> support, I should get rid of the linking error I am seeing upon building

yes.

VC> VMD. That means that if Tachyon is compiled with JPEG and PNG support, the
VC> vmd compilation will automatically attempt to link the vmd executable to the

no. but this may be a wording issue. if you compile libtachyon
with png and jpg support contains references to functions in libjpeg,
libpng (and libpng contains references to libz), so you have to
specify them, VMD requires them to link. the VMD build system
cannot detect this automatically and since john prefers to build
without those (for good reasons that he explained) the VMD config
does not contain any references to those.

hope that clears up matters,
    axel.